How to file a Longshore claim?

If you are a Longshoreman, shipbuilder or harbor worker, or are otherwise covered by the LHWCA, and you get injured on the job, you must notify your employer in writing within 30 days of the accident. You then have one year from the date of your accident, or from the date you last received voluntary payments of compensation, to file your Longshore claim with the United States Department of Labor to protect your right to further benefits. If you have never filed a claim before on this case, you should fax your claim form to the United States Department of Labor, Office of Worker’s Compensation Programs at the case create fax number of (202) 513- 6814. You can also file your claim by mail to the United States Department of Labor, Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs, Division of Longshore and Harbor Worker’s Compensation, Charles Lee Bennett Federal Building, 400 West Bay St., Suite 63A, Box 28, Jacksonville, FL, 32202. We would recommend that you send that claim via certified mail so that you have proof of the mailing date. At the Law Offices of Gillis, Mermell & Pacheco, PA, we have filed thousands of claims on behalf of injured Longshoreman, shipbuilders and harbor workers over the past 23 plus years. If you would like to make sure that your claim is filed timely and correctly, we would be happy to assist you with filing your claim. We recommend that you use form LS-203 which can be found on the Department of Labor website For further information about filing your Longshore claim, please contact our law firm. 

Scroll to Top