What should I do if I am injured on the job overseas and I am covered by the Defense Base Act?

  1. You should immediately report your accident to your employer. The law requires you to report your accident within 30 days. There are some exceptions to this, however, the general rule is that you have an obligation to report your accident within 30 days.
  2. You should request medical care from your employer with a doctor of your own choosing. The law requires your employer to furnish medical care for injuries on the job. The law requires your employer to allow you to choose your own doctor.
  3. Keep in mind that if you are working in what is considered to be a zone of special danger, you will be covered 24 hours per day even if you were not performing work related activities. In our opinion, anyone injured in Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan or Syria will be covered 24 hours per day for any injuries as a result of the zone of special danger rule.
  4. Contact a qualified Defense Base Act lawyer who understands the complexities of handling this type of case. At Gillis, Mermell & Pacheco, P. A., our lawyers have over 60 years of combined experience handling Defense Base Act cases. We have seen every type of injury; we have handled these cases at every stage of trial; and we have seen every kind of issue imaginable. We know the tricks that the insurance companies play, and we can beat them at their own game.

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By agreeing you accept the use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.

Scroll to Top